Tourist Information Center:TIC Koper-Capodistria
Tito square 3, 6000 Koper
+386 (0)5 664 64 03
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Marezige is a village in the northern part of the Šavrinsko gričevje (Šavrini hills) with the surrounding hamlets of Bernetiči, Bičanci, Bržani, Burji, Krmci, Marencini, Montinjan, Plahuti, Rokavci, Sabadini and Škrgati.
Marezige was mentioned as a colonate estate (Curias Mareseghi) in the first records of the villages of the Koper Commune as listed in the Statutes from 1423. The village of Maresego is also mentioned in the works of the Novigrad (Croatia) Bishop Giacomo Filippo Tommasini and the Koper Bishop Paolo Naldini (1700). The latter states that the village was made up of some fifty houses at the time, scattered along hillsides.The old public school and library originated in 1862 while the village also had a diverse social and cultural life. This contributed to Marezige becoming the seat of the municipality in 1898, which thrived under mayor Matej Kocjančič in the last decade before the First World War. The savings bank and loan office was in full swing, as well as the cooperative society, while the sale of wine, fruit, vegetables and milk asserted itself together with fairs. The municipality was regarded as the »fortress of Slovene culture« and had 3,128 residents in 1910. The national consciousness and the resistance of the locals became fully evident at the time of the fascist violence on 15th May 1921 during the parliamentary elections. The Marezige resistance, as an explicit act of national liberation, represented the first torch of the anti-fascist movement in Istria, so the Koper Municipality declared that day as its holiday in 1959. In the same year, they erected a magnificent monument in honour of those who died in the Marezige resistance and during the national liberation war in 1941-1945. The village was burnt down during the German October offensive in 1943. After the war, Marezige focused on facilitating the restoration and development of agriculture. Since 1972, the village has been hosting the now already traditional Refošk Festival with wine tastings and a presentation of old manners and customs. The village has a spacious wine cellar that opens its doors on important events.