Tourist Information Center:Tic Koper
Titov trg 3, 6000 Koper
++386 5 664 64 03
Height above sea level
in the countryside
This old clustered village lies on the vast plane of Zazidsko polje (Zazid field) in the southern part of Podgorski kras.
In the Middle Ages, Zazid (Xaxid, Xaxsed, Sasseto) was fortified and walled in. It can be found on the list of villages in the territory of Koper from the mid 13th century and in the statutes of Koper from around 1300 and from 1423. From the early 15th century onwards, various noble families from Koper had their estates in Zazid. During the Ottoman invasions and the Austro-Venetian wars in the first half of the 16th century, Zazid was included in the chain of fortified villages and the village was plundered and burnt down during the Uskok War (1615-617). In the past, locals engaged in sheep breeding and farming and the »na šćidenci« watering place is still preserved, as is the old village water well (štirna). The cemetery Church of St. Martin dates back to the late 16th or early 17th century and a Latin inscription with the date 1697 is engraved above the portal indicating the time when the church was renovated. The square nave is separated from the polygonal presbytery by a stone balustrade and an arch that was constructed at the same time as the apse. The high altar is adorned with wooden statues from the late 18th or early 19th century and the side altar is dedicated to St. Anthony. The massive bell tower (14.77 m) is made of stone and has been restored, together with its pyramidal roof.