Address: Prešernov trg 4 1000 Ljubljana
Phone: ++386 1 242 93 00
The extensive hall-style church dominates on the hill above the left bank of the Ljubljanica, at Prešernov trg. The old sanctuary in that location was torn down in the 15th century. In the beginning of the 17th century, a smaller chapel stood on the site. Construction on a larger Baroque hall-style church with chapels and a main facade divided by pilasters was started in 1646 and finished in 1660. The high frontage, at the sides concluded with two volutes, was rebuilt several times, particularly in the 19th century. At the top of the gable stands a high copper sculpture of the Loretto Mary with Child by Goldenstein, which in 1858 replaced an older wooden sculpture of the Black Mary. The bell towers by the presbytery with onion-shaped spires were added in the 18th century and were changed after the earthquake at the end of the 19th century. The Franciscans moved into the Augustine church in 1784. With them they brought some of the fittings from the old Franciscan church at Vodnikov trg. The interior, mainly the vaulting of the nave, was painted by Matevž Langus in the middle of the 19th century. Francesco Robba had carved the main altar by 1738. In the vestry is the Koroščev cross, made according to Plečnik's plan.
The hall-style Baroque space with an accented facade from the 17th century and its two towers dominates the area and is the first entirely newly built Baroque church in Ljubljana. Each year at Christmas the largest creche in Ljubljana is arranged in front of its main altar. During the renovation in 1992, the level with the windows on the main façade was reconstructed and the ruined fresco by Goldenstein, which was repainted in the sixties, was removed. The two towers were renovated in 1995. Later the winter chapel under the staircase that leads into the church was arranged (architect Maruša Zorec, 1999). The church is open regularly.