Please, evaluate the offer:

Slovenj Gradec, Church of the Holy Spirit (Sv. Duh)

Print Add to travel planner
Slovenj Gradec
The Church of the Holy Spirit stands right by the parish church of St. Elizabeth, in the centre of the town core of Slovenj Gradec. It was built until 1428 as a hospital chapel, connected with the town's almshouse. It is a one-nave building, concluded with slate saddle roof with a slender roof tower. Before the end of the 15th century, the entrance to the church from the town side was made (the nave was reconstructed in the years 1490-1495). For that purpose, a portal with the date 1494 was set on the west wall. The presbytery was reconstructed already in 1447.

The interior in the nave is net and rib vaulted and has a long choir that takes up two star-shaped sections of the vaulting and the five-eighths ending. The triumphal arch between the presbytery and the nave is strongly profiled. In the middle of the 15th century the Bavarian fresco painter Andreas of Otting painted the entire north wall of the presbytery with Christ's Cycle divided into different square shaped scenes outlined with a border. The motifs, arrangement and edge decorations are taken from wall tapestries or fasting tablecloths.  At the edge of the triumphal arch wall there is an added portrait of donators and a correlating inscription.

On the exterior triumphal arch wall, a scene with Christ the Judge and additions pertaining to the Last Judgement was painted around 1500.  The painting in the Florian altar is the work of  Mihael Skobel (1633), and the main altar was designed by Jakob Jurij Mersi in the second half of the 18th century. The image of the Pentecost was painted in 1777 by Janez Andrej Strauss. In the north side altar stands a Gothic sculpture of the Holy Trinity in the upper niche.

In front of the church a monument to the writer and priest Franc Ksaver Meško was set up in 1994 (sculptor Rade Nikolić). The key of the church is in the nearby vicarage, which houses an interesting collection of the priest Soklič.

 


Turistično informacijski center Slovenj Gradec 
Glavni trg 24 
2380 
Slovenj Gradec 
Tel. : ++386 2 881 21 16 
Tel. 2 : ++386 51 320 978 
Fax : ++386 2 881 21 17 
E-mail :  
Web site : www.slovenjgradec.si 


guided tour
individual
Free of charge
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 46,5082 
GPS Easting (E) : 15,0796 
Administrator : RRA Koroška d.o.o. | ++386 2 881 21 16 | | www.slovenjgradec.si... | last modified: 01/02/2013

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year

Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)/room
Show on Google Maps
Advanced search
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more